Estrogen has a bad reputation. Often associated with breast cancer and cardiovascular disease.
However, when estrogen is IN BALANCE it helps keep our bones strong, keeps everything in the body well lubricated (if you suffer from vaginal dryness I can help with that too!) and is important for our mood.
When estrogen is OUT OF BALANCE it can cause:
- DEPRESSION and ANXIETY
- hair loss
- mood swings and IRRITABILITY
- trouble falling asleep and WAKING FREQUENTLY throughout the night
- PMS, especially breast tenderness
- weight gain
Estrogen dominance can develop from excess body fat, digestive issues, stress (this was the case for me!) and autoimmune conditions. Did you know that excess estrogen can suppress thyroid function as well?!
3 Steps to Eliminate Estrogen Dominance
- Liver Support – your liver is responsible for getting estrogen ready to be eliminated by the body. If you estrogen is not being cleared properly, it is sticking around to cause more trouble. A few quick tips on liver support include – eat good quality protein, eat a minimum of 5 servings of cruciferous vegetables per day and talk to your Naturopathic Doctor about taking a B Complex and herbal liver support (they work wonders!!)
- Heal Your Gut – after the liver has processed estrogen for elimination, it is up to the digestive system to eliminate it. If you are not having 1-2 bowel movements per day, excess estrogen can be a problem. Make sure to eat lots of fiber, at least 25g per day from lots of vegetables and some fruit.
- Tests don’t guess – Tests in blood work, urine and saliva are great ways to get a detailed idea of what is going on. Just like my test below. Ask your naturopathic doctor which of our detailed hormone panels is best for you!
Here is to happy, healthy, hormones!
Dr. Jordin Wiggins