When it comes to back-to-school, the emphasis is always placed on students. There are deals and advice on everything from clothing, school supplies, and how-to pack a healthy lunch.
Sadly, parents get lost in the whole process and often feel overwhelmed and overworked!
So, for all of you parents out there, here are a few tips to keep YOU feeling well:
- Routine – your body has a built-in 24 hour clock and thrives on consistency. Maintaining a regular bedtime/wake up time allows your body to predict when it should sleep and when to wake up…eventually you may not need that alarm clock!
- Hydration – it is easy to forget to drink water, especially when you are busy! Create attainable goals, such as refilling your water bottle 3-4 times daily and finishing each bottle by a set timeframe (ie. 1st water bottle finished by 10am, 2nd by 2pm, 3rd by 5pm, etc). Dehydration can cause symptoms including headaches, light-headedness, fatigue, irritability, and cravings (often confused for hunger).
- Energy boost – do you get afternoon energy slumps? Instead of reaching for another cup of coffee, try adding a snack that’ll keep you satisfied without the sugar crash. Focus on sources of protein and healthy fats (mixed nuts and seeds, cut veggies and hummus, 2 hard-boiled eggs, chia seed pudding, or smashed avocado on brown rice cakes).
- Self-care – with the back-to-school craze, it can be too easy to put everyone else first! While everyone’s needs are important, you cannot expect to care for others when you aren’t well cared for yourself. So, here is your written permission to take some time for yourself at least once a day. Be it going for a walk, meeting with a friend (or both together!), 5-10 minute meditation, or listening to music!
- Immune boost – the season for colds and flus will soon be upon us. Now is the time to practice prevention and keep your immune system strong! Getting daily vitamin D, incorporating more veggies in your diet, and supplementing with key nutrients can all help towards this goal. IV therapy is also a great choice, both for prevention and when that cold hits you. It provides the vitamins and minerals your immune system needs to fight back and you’ll also get some down time for yourself while you drip!
Remember that your wellbeing is important in back-to-school success!
To learn more on boosting your energy, losing the brain-fog, and feeling your best, check out our website at www.healthoverall.ca.
Dr. Meghan McNaughton, ND