Acupuncture has been increasing in popularity in North America in recent years in light of some great research supporting its benefits. Who would have thought a tiny needle can have such a profound effect on so many health conditions?
Here are five, evidenced based, reasons to try acupuncture:
- Pain – Acupuncture has been shown to be effective in treating many pain conditions. These include osteoarthritis, migraines, low back pain and knee pain just to name a few.
- Mood – For those who stuffer from stress and anxiety, acupuncture is a great starting point. Weekly acupuncture for 3 months has also shown benefit in treating depression. It is proposed that acupuncture regulates the areas of the brain that produce feel good neurotransmitters – serotonin and dopamine. Not to mention, using acupuncture in combination with anti-depressants is more effective than anti-depressants alone!
- Hormones – Many conditions of hormone dysregulation can be treated with acupuncture. PMS, infertility and menopause have all shown benefit with acupuncture treatments. For instance, menopausal as well as chemotherapy induced hot flashes can be reduced for up to three months after treatment!
- Sleep – Acupuncture can act on the nervous system to increase hormones required for sleep. Treatments are especially effective when the cause for poor sleep quality is menopause, depression, or stress.
- Weight – Some small trials show ear acupuncture can influence appetite through its effect on the nervous system, which controls appetite hormones such as leptin and gherlin. Another study shows acupuncture and Chinese herbs in combination with proper diet and exercise will speed up the weight loss process.
Dr. Wiggins ND can perform acupuncture and has 8 years of post-secondary education in core medical sciences, nutritional counselling, physical medicine and exercise physiology. While you are getting your acupuncture treatment she can discuss weight loss strategies and healthy eating tips!
Like other treatments, acupuncture does not have the same effect on everyone. But it is a non-toxic, no side effect treatment which is definitely worth a try!
Click here to book an appointment!